Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Episode 1 – The Opposite of Hyderdrive

People who have been able to watch or read any Sci-Fi material are acquainted with the idea of Hyperdrive or Hyperspace or Space Jump. For those who don’t, Hyperdrive, Hyperspace or Space Jump is the idea in Science Fiction where a body, commonly a ship, flies through long distances at the speed of light (most probably). For those who still cannot understand, when a ship tries to escape their enemies in space, or go to a distant planet, moon or satellite, they use Hyperdrive, Hyperspace or Space Jump (you know this when you see that the stars become really long streaks of light); case in point, Star Wars and Star Trek, I don’t think that their stories would be the same if there were no such abilities in their ships.

Now, you are probably wondering what this has to do with my adventures here in Los Baños, I will tell you in a moment.

Here in the beautiful and very green–in a natural way–land of Los Baños, there is no Hyperdrive, not that it exists anywhere else in the world. What I am talking about is the essence of it, the idea of it. There is none of it here.

When I spent my first days here alone, I was still used to the speed of the City, so when I got here I thought that every clock that I had ran 30 minutes slower, I thought that the day had suddenly grown longer and that everyone and everything around me seemed to go in slow motion.

Los Baños is a place not yet affected by the hustle and bustle of the City–because it isn’t–and by the alarming speed of technology. Los Baños is a sleepy little place where everything–from people, to the weather, to cars–moves in a lethargic way. Time as they say is Gold, and unlike in Manila where people use their gold as fast as possible, the people here hold onto their gold, holding it close to them and spending their time slowly and enjoy the day.

No comments: